How many times over the years have we talked about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning? Well, we literally had one for the books recently when we went out to check a homeowners unit for them.
Carbon Monoxide--first, let's talk about what it is...
a colorless, odorless, highly poisonous, flammable gas, also known as CO, that burns with a pale-blue flame, produced when carbon compounds burn with insufficient air, resulting in incomplete combustion of carbon.
and what it does...
up to and including killing you, here's what you can expect to experience from CO poisoning--depending on the levels of CO that are breathed into the body, you may have the following symptoms--long term effects include memory, brain function, behavior, and cognition. It can cause permanent damage to major organs in the body, such as the heart. Short term effects may be flu-like symptoms, nausea or vomiting, drowsiness, headaches, weakness, blurred vision, confusion, dizziness, shortness of breath, and loss of consciousness.
What's happening in your body...
Carbon monoxide replaces the levels of oxygen within the blood, which results in the death of cells and damage to major organs which are starved of oxygen--it's known as anoxia.
Air Care Systems by Price, Inc. wants to be very clear that we place human life and safety above making a buck. When we put posts like this on our blog, it's not to scare you, it's to inform you, and hopefully save your life. Our client that prompted this blog is extremely lucky. The heat exchanger in their unit had completely rusted through over the years, allowing CO gas to escape into their home. The heat exchanger is located inside the indoor portion of the heat and air system and it's where the combustion takes place. That's why it's so critical to make sure you're having a certified HVAC professional check your system at least once a year, and preferably twice. We recommend a spring and fall clean and check of each system in order to head off disaster and lessen the possibility of major repair bills down the road. A well-maintained system is going to last longer, function more efficiently, and give you peace of mind. When you lay your head on that pillow at night, you can rest assured that you've done your part in protecting your family and maintaining the value of one of your home's most vital systems.
We hope we NEVER come across another situation as bad as this one, but we are all too aware of the silent shadow that potentially lurks in our homes. Don't be sorry--give us a call at (479) 777-2331 and get your system checked, especially if it's been a while or you've never had it done.
Air Care Systems by Price, Inc. wishes all of our valued customers and friends the happiest and most joyous times of the season as we move from Thanksgiving to Christmas. Let us help make sure it's a Merry one!